Friday 29 July 2011

Fly fishing Usk Reservoir.

During Easter 2011 I ventured to Usk reservoir to try my hand at some fly fishing for trout, I used a golden hares ear which had been battered and bruised but seems to be the only fly I can produce fish with on the reservoirs (Cray included). I found a nice quiet spot on the northern edge about 400m past the dam wall.
I used the single hares ear to great effect catching five rainbow trout with a fairly slow sinking retrieve. I tried again a few days later using the same tactic and blanked completely, the weather was more unsettled however. I even walked past the conservation area and fished the other side which is reserved for fly fishing only, the wind was blowing into me which made it difficult to get distance on the cast, there were no signs of fish that I could see. I am sure if I employed a team of flies on this large water I would have produced more fish, I will be better prepared next time!
Tickets are purchased from a machine on the right hand side just after you pass the north side of the dam, it is about £16 (I think) and that has to be paid in pound coins! Yes very odd payment system and a real pain in the backside!

Whilst I was fishing I was being watched by a Red Kite, here is my only attempted snap:(
Usk Reservoir is owned by Welsh Water and the surrounding countryside is managed by the Forestry Commission. Brecon Beacons website has a few more details and links: here

No comments:

Post a Comment